1. What was your first motorcycling experience?
Falling off a Puch Maxi I was testing on a roundabout at the top of a steep hill. I decided not to buy it
2. What is your current bike?
A Honda XRV Africa Twin, ideal for the deserts of London.
3. What bike would you most like to ride/own?
Every type of bike in the world, and a garage big enough to put them all in. Of course I’d also need a workshop so I could fiddle with them
4. What was your hairiest moment on a bike?
At 16 or 17, doing somersaults over the handlebars and every so often seeing my bike in the air above me (all in slow motion of course!). When I saw the wreckage it was the last time I cried
5. What was your most memorable ride?
Riding in a ground mist approaching Stonehenge very early in the morning with no traffic anywhere when suddenly there was a tremendous engine roar. There was nothing in front and nothing in the mirrors, but it was getting louder and louder! I was just about to abandon the bike when two RAF Tornadoes buzzed me and wiggled their wings as they flew off
6. What would be the ideal soundtrack to the above?
HELP! by The Beatles
7. What do you think is the best thing about motorcycling?
Belonging to a vast mutually understanding tribe
8. What do you think is the worst thing about motorcycling?
Ignorant and arrogant car drivers
9. Name an improvement you’d like to see for the next generation?
Government and Local Councils who understand the benefits of increased bike use
10. How would you like to be remembered?
As someone worthy of his carbon tyre print